A Damascus work model of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, Jerusalem, late 17th/early 18th Century.

A superb model of the church, incorporating mother-of-pearl, in a very fine glazed mahogany case, 53.3cm wide.
1763 Inventory: “the Jewel closet…..Model in Mosaic of ye Temple of Christ Sepulchre (at Jerusalem), a Glass Frame over it.”
The model represents one of the most important Christian shrines, as the site of both the crucifixion and the tomb of Jesus. It can be taken apart, so that architectural details may be appreciated and individual areas of religious significance within the building may be identified; of great importance to those who had made the pilgrimage.

 

REFERENCE: EWA08635

Related collections