A Chelsea/Derby tea bowl and saucer, circa 1770-1775.

The teabowl and saucer, of double ogée form, both carry the letter D and an anchor mark in gold on the base.

The two marks, juxtaposed and usually in gold, were adopted in 1770 after William Duesbury of Derby had acquired the Chelsea factory.

The wares from Chelsea and Derby thereafter became virtually indistinguishable.

Gradually emulation of the Meissen style ceased and increasingly, inspiration was sought from the French manufactory at Sèvres.


Related collections