Oil on canvas, 56cm by 44.5cm.
The painting is a copy of a detail taken from The Purification of the Virgin by Guido Reni (c.1636-1640), now in the Louvre in Paris.
Guido Reni was born into a family of musicians in Bologna, where he trained in the studio of Denis Calvaert (1540-1619) from a very early age.
He became a leading artist of the Bolognese School, establishing two studios, which between them had almost two hundred pupils, through whom his influence was assured.
He was also active in both Rome and Naples.