The sides of the cylindrical piggin, which is 7cm. in height, are applied with three sprays of flowering prunus, and the handle is in the form of a flattened trefoil rising vertically from the rim.
The word ‘piggin’, which dates back to at least the 14th Century, suggests a small pale, can or ladle, with the handle on one side to aid scooping.
The Bow porcelain factory was active from about 1747 to 1764, before closing in 1776. Bow and its rival, the Chelsea factory, which was established in about 1743, were the first to make soft paste porcelain in England.